Skip to main content

12. What pre-reading and post-reading meant to me.

Pre-reading
In my second attempt of completing final year, I have seen how pre-reading had helped me make use of lectures more efficiently: it enabled me to follow in lectures, to be more attentive, increased my chances of understanding the insight shared and knowledge lecturers shared on the chapters lectured. All of this contributed to better understanding complex concepts, getting through long chapters and eventually passing enough to graduate and getting into the next level of my studies.

Pre-reading is something I did for an hour to an hour and a half - when I finally understood the purpose of pre-reading and how I was supposed to go about it.

Initially I had the mentality that pre-reading meant studying each page of the chapter/(s) - word for word - with understanding. It did not quite work, especially because the chapters seemed long, and concepts complex. It took too long for me to understand and thus demotivating.

When I asked him about pre-reading, my former classmate and Bcom Accounting post-graduate, Brenton Booysen, clarified to me that pre-reading is intended to help get an idea of what the chapter is about. I then discovered, from our discussion, that I did not have to understand everything when I pre-read. I will get more clarity in lectures.

I ended up speed-reading chapters before lectures; putting question marks where I was completely lost - which served as a reminder to be attentive when the lecturer covers that particular section in the lecture. I also needed a consistent follow-up on that: going back to the questions I had and verify if they were answered during the lecture. If they were not answered or if I still did not understand, that meant post-reading and / or consultation. Of course, all that needed discipline on my side to make sure I do all those things.


Post-reading
Post-reading is something I thought would make sure I fully understood the chapter(s) covered in lectures. My post-reading sessions have gone from re-reading chapters - which was demotivating and took too long; to reading the notes I made in class - which was beneficial since it brought comfort in knowing that I understood the concepts that were covered in the lectures. However, it was not enough, as reflected from the results of mini tests done during the year.

What I discovered about final year in the Bcom Accounting course is that we are tested on application of the theory covered. I realised that I needed to spend more time on practising questions, so that I know how to answer test and exam questions instead of knowing the theory that I was not able to implement.

I then figured that in order to fully understand the chapters and be better prepared for tests and exams; I had to reconsider how to go about my post-reading sessions. They came in different forms:
  •  Re-read the notes I made in class and thereafter do questions before attempting homework
  • Focus more on the sections that I wasn't clear on and thereafter do some questions before attempting homework
  • Do questions and allow them to guide me as to what concepts I still did not understand; in which I would go back and study them; thereafter attempt homework.
 Whichever of these I chose was dependent on how much I understood during pre-reading and how much I understood during lectures. For instance: when I felt comfortable about the particular chapter/(s) after lectures, I simply read my notes, practiced very few questions and attempted homework. Whereas when I was not completely happy about the chapter/(s), I consulted the lecturers on specific sections and exercises that were done during class. This also required descipline on my side.

There were times when I either did not pre-read/ post-read, or did not complete my pre-reading/post-reading sessions; either because of unexpected interruptions or simply because of being lazy. Having the discipline to make sure that I did my sessions as much as I could for most of my 2015 academic year - keeping in mind the benefits, is what I believe contributed to being able to complete my undergraduate studies.

Thank you so much for your time. I certainly hope you have gained something from the insight shared. Please feel free to share your views on this topic; or perhaps some insight that you would also like to share in relation to this topic. You can share on the blog's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/?ref=hl. Student-Talk is also on Twitter https://twitter.com/student_blog

Until next time :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining