Skip to main content

From the blogger: Open letter ( Addressing misconceptions)

Dear Student-Talk blog followers

I had decided to write this letter to address the misconceptions about me in relation to the blog; and misunderstanding about the purpose of Student-Talk blog.

I have had a few students coming up to me, asking questions like “how do you study Auditing?”; and receiving remarks like “you bunked a tutorial? You should write that on your blog, hey?”

One thing I need to make clear is that I do not fit the typical definition of a “perfect” student. It was never my intention to portray myself as such through the blog. The fact that I share the lessons I learn from my failures and mistakes does not make me a “perfect” student. The fact that I share information I receive from student workshops, programs and other intellectuals does not make me a “perfect” student. The fact that I know all this information that I share does not make me a “perfect” student. I do not feel that I need to be an expert in the things I share on the blog before I share them with others, especially if it could be useful to others. The fact that I am able to write – which is merely a gift, just as everybody has a unique talent/gift - does not make me a “perfect” student.

I am trying to find solutions to my academic/ student challenges just like other students – which is why I invest in discovering and sharing the information I obtain. As much as I may be trying out the solutions and strategies shared on the blog, it needs to be understood that implementation of these strategies and solutions does not guarantee success overnight. They are also NOT the ONLY solutions to student challenges, which is why I ask questions at the end of each article – for myself and others. The Facebook page was also opened as a platform for students to share what works for them or seek for solutions to their challenges from other students, lecturers, trainees, professionals, and intellectuals who are on the blog’s Facebook page.

This blog is not only to help others but it is also for me! I also need other solutions/strategies that may be more effective for me personally. I also need motivation. I also get stressed. I also fail. I also make mistakes. I also get lazy. I also experience life challenges that may affect my academic life. Therefore I also learn from what you share with me through your comments on the blog posts and the Facebook posts I make.

I certainly hope the misconceptions and misunderstanding will be resolved after this post.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Till the next post 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining