Skip to main content

17. From university to the working world

It’s been about 2 months that I’ve been in the working world. I didn’t have an expectation of how it would be, but one thing I’ve learnt to appreciate about working, which is also humbling, is how it made me realise that the knowledge gained in high school and university is not enough. I’ve realized that there are things I don’t know and understand, that there is more to learn through work experience.

Work experience helps me to apply my mind and to make sense of things practically and logically, unlike when I used to study certain sections for the sake of passing instead of having an in-depth understanding of the concepts. It is understandable why we study like that, though. I for one can testify to that: when there’s not much time to understand concepts and there is just too much to put up with, even worse – when one is not eventually getting the concept, the next best solution is most probably cramming and moving on.

I’m on a 3-month probation period right now as a creditors’ controller. The probation period is a period in which I’m learning and gaining experience. I acknowledge it as a period where I shouldn’t be afraid to ask questions, not be afraid to not know/understand certain things. I should also not be afraid to apply my mind – I still need to prove that I’m fit for the position, that I can be efficient and do my work diligently.

Of course it’s been a challenge learning new things and remembering them. Pride had to be put aside and I had to accept that I don’t know everything – to not be afraid to ask for clarity and understanding of certain things. I took it to the extreme though: going to the manager’s desk every other second where I could have just sent slack messages. ‘Slack’ is an application, very similar to ‘WhatsApp’, that employees use to avoid the need to go to each other’s desk and disturbing each other.

The work experience is giving me the opportunity to have a more in-depth understanding of what I’m doing, not the “crammed” theory. I must say, though, that it has taken some time to get used to certain tasks. I’m still trying to get used to some even today! I’ve gotten better and used to remembering and understanding some things.

There’s also been times when I’m requested to perform a lot of tasks within a short period of time. During such times, I have to think about what it is that is requested so that I understand what is being asked for and complete the task correctly, instead of being overwhelmed and completing tasks incorrectly. I also saw how better it actually gets when I go on break (like tea break or lunch hour) and come back with a refreshed mind: I’m able to come back to my senses and think logically after getting overwhelmed by the number of tasks I’m requested to do.

When I have a mixture of big tasks and small tasks, I found that it’s convenient to complete small tasks first and complete big tasks bit by bit, otherwise if all the time is put in completing the big tasks, the small tasks may not be completed in due time, and that is not pleasant, more especially for someone like me who is being watched and is on probation.

It takes time to get used to the duties I perform. Through this experience, I’ve realised how important it is for me to be patient – in that I will eventually understand the work and duties over time, and that I’d even find quicker ways to complete certain duties because of having a more in-depth understanding of what I do after having done so many routine duties. The important thing is for the work I do to make logical sense to me so that I can perform the necessary duties correctly and on time.

So, how was your first experience in the working world? Do you think university or school in general prepares us for the working world? Do you find that there is some theory learnt in school that you don't make use of in the working world?

Be sure to also share your thoughts on this topic. You can also follow the blog on twitter: https://twitter.com/student_blog and facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/


Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Until next time :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

34. Exploitation at work

When entering into the working world, especially as a student or learner who neither had been exposed to the work environment nor has a mentor to guide them, exploitation may be an inevitable thing to happen: you might accept it before you even recognise it. It’s your first time working. You have this notion that you must impress your boss, to not be problematic, because it’s your first job and you also need a positive reference for future jobs, right? But what happens in an event that you find yourself doing jobs that are not in line with your job-description or what you expected to do? What do you do? Let me give you an example: You are employed to work as a trainee accountant at a small accounting firm to become a Professional Accountant (SA). The training is for 3 years. During your first year, you’re tasked with the following, along with very few accounting jobs: Making filter coffee for the boss Answering the phone when the secretary is not around (twice a