Skip to main content

25. Work place - working efficiently

8 months later and I finally reached a point where I am efficient in my work…well, most of the time. One thing I’ve realised about myself is that when something comes up while I’m busy with one thing, if it is urgent and/ or will take little of my time, I’d rather stop what I’m doing currently and attend to that thing before I forget about it. I’d rather get it over and done with there and then instead of procrastinating it, otherwise it won’t get done. If it’s something that will take long, which I’d only realise while attending to it, I’d keep the paper work or a sticky note on the desk or on the laptop where it will not pass my eyes, so that I know it has to be attended to before end of day. I also don’t like papers on my desk, so putting them on my desk is motivation enough to attend to them and to get rid of them before end of day. However, it’s also important to be realistic: if I can’t do everything today, there’s always ‘prioritizing’ – doing the urgent tasks first, and there’s always “first thing in the morning” (lol).

My tasks
The 2 most important tasks I always have for the day are:
 1. To attend to emails with suppliers (most of which relate to discrepancies between the statements and our records, which may result in a number of tasks being done to sort out the discrepancies) and

2. To ensure that creditors' reconciliation of all suppliers that send their statements are completed either by end of day or by the next morning for payment preparation.

When it comes to supplier emails, I do not attend to the next email until I attend to the email opened. If the email relates to something I cannot attend to at the time, I’ll keep it as “unread” until I attend to it. I always want to have 0 unread inbox messages by the time I leave work, so that motivates me to attend to every email. As much it is something logical to do, I finally got the hang of attending to the oldest emails first before newer emails – yes, during the first few months at work, I was pretty slow. Can you imagine the number of emails I got everyday? They piled up and I ended up have too many because of being so slow to attend to them on the days they were sent. It's very important to attend to emails as soon as possible.

There are other smaller tasks that I need to do during the day, like filing invoices and help various departments on whatever I can assist with in my capacity with the filed invoices: be it finding individual invoices that need to be paid (for suppliers who don’t send statements) or finding invoices for purchasing or receiving department when they find discrepancies they came across at a later stage, or if they need to re-check something.

Working together
I’ve realised that all departments are dependent on each other. Any discrepancies I come across with suppliers between what is on their statement and what is in our records will result in me consulting the purchasing department and / or the receiving department. However, the individual persons in the departments may be busy with their own daily duties, and thus I had to find a way to come to them at a convenient time. Recently, I had an idea to actually keep a stack of queries I’d need help with from a particular individual, so that I come to them at once for all the queries, and attend to them then and there, instead of consulting on each query as it comes, one by one, disturbing the daily flow of the individual.

Sometimes things won’t necessarily work out the way I expected: for instance, the individual is not at work on the day, or the individual can only attend to me at a certain point in time. I’ve had to find alternative ways to a solution, or learn to be patient – which is much better when there are other tasks to be attended to, because those tasks will keep me busy for a while.

At times, I’d find that the discrepancy is a result of a task that wasn’t done by the individual in whichever particular department. In such cases, I know better that to ‘condemn’ the individual. I’d simply ask them to do whatever is required. This experience has also helped me acknowledge and understand that we are human beings and cannot be burdensome to the other, because it is not pleasant for one to be annoyed and feel pushed, as that will affect their attitude towards the work they do, and ultimately the efficiency in executing their tasks/duties. The 3 most important values I live by are integrity, respect and humility, and they have helped me a great deal when it comes to working with people.

Efficiency
Efficiency to me means executing tasks to the best of my ability without compromising the results expected: 'competency' and 'well-organised' being the key words. What’s more important to me is to ensure accurate results, not simply completing tasks for the sake of doing so. Since I have recently started working, of course there are some things I need to grasp and learn in order to be quicker at being efficient. It’s a learning curve, and I'm quite appreciative of having the opportunity to grow.

I trust you enjoyed this blog post. Please feel free to share your views on the topic, or whatever came to mind, whatever interested you as you were reading.


Thanks so much for your time and consideration. Until next time J

Comments

  1. Hi Simtha, good post! When you are mentioning stuff that flies in and needs to be done, but you can't attend to it straight away - that's what DayPipe is also perfect for. Also if something needs to be done in a few days, it can quickly be scheduled for the future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Matic, that actually sounds awesome! How does DayPipe work again? Is there a link? Is it a software that can be downloaded?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining