Skip to main content

2. Study groups

Study groups: are they useful?

This is a question that was raised in a Facebook group I had joined, titled "Bcom Accounting Sciences students in SA". It was created by Mica Themba Chissano for the purpose of CA(SA) aspiring students helping each other with the B.com Accounting course.

When Oratilwe Machete raised this question, I figured that study groups is something that I should consider. Perhaps it could be something others may consider as well; especially those whose study or comprehension techniques are not effective.

I had spoken to a few students about study groups. One student mentioned that she is skeptical about being in a study group, especially because the study mates might not be productive. One other student mentioned that he studies on his own but meets his group on certain days to ask questions to comprehend sections that he could not understand while he was studying on his own.

















Initially, I had the same mentality as the first student. However, after considering what the second student said, I figured that study groups might actually be more effective than I thought!

In the previous post, I mentioned that I had started pre-reading and listening more attentively during lectures. During those three months, I did have questions to ask on the theory - for more understanding and clarity. Unfortunately I could not ask all my questions during the lecture because I was not the only student who had questions; and the lecture had to go on. Moreover, lecturers' consultation times are limited and clash with other lecture times.

I think being in a study group would be a great platform for all study mates to come together and help each other answer unanswered questions using the relevant textbooks. We could also have discussions and help each other understand concepts in the textbooks that we may have had difficulty understanding. It may be more beneficial for study mates to focus on a chapter/(s) or a topic/(s) covered on that particular day.

I'm definitely considering being in a study group.

Do you have a study group? Are you considering to be in one?

You can share your thoughts on this topic, your experiences of being in a study group - what you've learnt, and share any tips for effective study groups on the comments section below.

You can also follow the blog on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/


Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Till next time  :).

Comments

  1. -At his workshop, Mr Graeme O'Reilly CA(SA) recommended a maximum of 3 members

    - A fellow student, Sbongiseni, also shared that he had been in a study group of 3 people last year. They used to talk about chapters, sharing their summary of the understanding of chapters covered. They'd spend 3 hours: 1.5hrs for one module, 1.5 hrs for another. They did this at night, 3 hrs before 11pm/ 12am, and they could because they lived on campus at the varsity's residence. He said this worked effectively for them because their marks increased a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining