Skip to main content

5. Part 2: Conflict management - For workplace purposes

In the previous article, the concept of conflict management was addressed. The different styles of handling conflict and the situations in which the styles should and shouldn't be used were also communicated.

Now, let's find out which conflict-handling style we are most dominant in, and how less dominant we are on the other styles; so that we can work on ensuring that we use the correct style in the correct situation:

Below is a multiple choice exercise that was provided at the workshop. We have to imagine ourselves in the situations presented and choose what we would do in the given situation. Some situations are repeated but let's not cheat! (Lol!). And let's be honest! :D

This can be printed out. Alternatively we can write the numbers 1-30, and next to them write our option: A/ B.

Here we go!!


1

A.      There are times when I let others take responsibility for solving the problem.

B.      Rather than negotiate the things on which we agree on, I try to stress those things we both agree on.
2

A.      I try to find compromise.
B.      I try to deal with the other person’s and my own concerns.
3

A.      I am usually firm in pursuing my goals.
B.      I might try to soothe the other person’s feelings and preserve our relationship.
4

A.      I try to find compromise.
B.      I sometimes sacrifice my own issues for the wishes of the other person.
5

A.      I consistently seek another person’s help in working out a solution.
B.      I try to do what is necessary to avoid useless tension.
6

A.      I try to void creating unpleasantness for myself.
B.      I try to win my position
7

A.      I try to postpone the issue until I have had some time to think it over.
B.      I give up some points in exchange for others

8

A.      I am usually firm in pursuing my goals.
B.      I attempt to get all concerns and issues immediately out in the open.
9

A.      I feel that differences are not always worth worrying about.
B.      I make some effort to get my way.
10

A.      I am firm in pursuing my goals
B.      I try to find a compromise solution.
11

A.      I attempt to get all concerns and issues out into the open.
B.    I might try to soothe the other person’s feelings and preserve our relationship.
12

A.      I sometimes avoid taking positions that would create controversy.
B.      I would let others have some positions if I am allowed to have some of mine.
13

A.      I propose a middle ground
B.      I press to get my points made.
14

A.      I tell others my ideas and ask them for theirs.
B.      I try to show others the logic and benefit of my position.
15

A.      I might try to soothe the other person’s feelings and preserve our relationship.
B.      I try to do what is necessary to avoid tension.
16

A.      I try to not hurt the other person’s feelings.
B.      I try to convince the other person the merits of my position.
17

A.     I am usually firm in pursuing my goals
B.     I try to do what is necessary to avoid tension.
18

A.      If it makes the other person happy, I might allow them to maintain their views.
B.      I will let others have some of their positions if they will let me have some of mine.
19

A.      I attempt to get all concerns and issues immediately out in the open.
B.      I try to postpone the issues until I have time to think it over.
20

A.      I attempt to immediately work through our differences.
B.      I try to find a fair combination of gains and losses for both of us.
21

A.      In approaching negotiations, I try to be considerate of the other person’s wishes.
B.      I always lean towards a direct discussion of the problem.
22

A.      I try to find a position that is intermediate between the other person’s and my own.
B.      I assert my wishes.
23

A.      I am very often concerned with satisfying all our wishes.
B.      There are times when I let others take responsibility for resolving the problem.
24

A.      If the other person’s position seems very important to him/her, I would try to meet his/her wishes.

B.      I try to get him/her to settle for a compromise.
25

A.      I try to show other people the logic and benefits of my position.
B.      In approaching negotiations, I try to be considerate of the other person’s wishes.
26

A.      I propose a middle ground
B.      I am nearly always concerned with satisfying all our wishes.
27

A.      I sometimes avoid taking positions that would create controversy.
B.     If it makes the other person happy, I might allow him/her to maintain his/her views.
28

A.       I am usually firm in pursuing my goals
B.       I usually seek the other person’s help in working out a solution.
29

A.      I propose a middle ground.
B.      I feel that differences are not always worth worrying about.
30

A.      I try not to hurt the other person’s feelings.
B.      I always share my problem with the other person so we can work it out.










Done? Well the next step is to show our answers on the sheet below by circling the option we chose for each situation. When we're done,we must add up the number of letters we circled and write the total at the end of the corresponding columns. The sheet is below, and an example is shown below the sheet:



Compete
Collaborate
Compromise
Avoid
Accommodate
1



A
B
2

B
A


3
A



B
4


A

B
5

A

B

6
B


A

7


B
A

8
A
B



9
B


A

10
A

B


11

A


B
12


B
A

13
B

A


14
B
A



15



B
A
16
B



A
17
A


B

18


B

A
19

A

B

20

A
B


21

B


A
22
B

A


23

A

B

24


B

A
25
A



B
26

B
A


27



A
B
28
A
B



29


A
B

30

B


A









 The example:

 So, how did you find it? Did you find which style of conflict you're most dominant in? Any style you need to work on?...

Now, let's check out the process for resolving issues and skills for managing conflict :) ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining