Skip to main content

10. Test/Exam preparation

Tests and exams typically test how much we’ve learnt during the term, semester, year. Whether or not they are a true representation of our knowledge and understanding of all the work learnt throughout the year/(s) – that may be a debatable topic for another day.

Preparation starts from the beginning

We actually prepare for tests and exams from the time that the academic year starts. The work that we get tested on is taught over a period because it’s too much for us to learn and understand a few days before the day of the test/exam. It’s such a privilege that at university, even at primary school and high school, to have curriculums that spread the workload over the course of each year: it makes it easier for us to learn at a fair pace to ensure that the work for the whole year is completed within the year. Whether or not the pace or the workload is indeed fair – that may also be a debatable issue for another day.

How do we prepare?

We cover the workload by attending classes, lectures and tutorials. As much as classes at primary school and high school are compulsory, not so much at university – but that’s an option at our own cost.

At university, we are provided a time schedule that specifies when lectures and tutorials of the respective modules will be. As much as I understood that these lectures and tutorials are not compulsory, I made the conscious decision to attend them, because I was not familiar with studying on my own. When I reached final year, especially when I had to repeat it, I realized how important it was to make sure that I find a way to make these lectures and tutorials effective for me. I also had to prioritize and be able to decide when I needed to bunk certain lectures and tutorials – but I still had to be sure that I was making a smart decision: where I’d know how to deal with the consequences, and more importantly being certain that bunking is a worthy sacrifice for whatever I was bunking for.

Taking advantage of the curriculum:

· Personal strategies implemented

In respect of making lectures and tutorials effective for me, some of the things I implemented to ensure this are pre-reading, post -reading, taking notes during lectures, time management strategies and consultation. My experience and benefits thereof I have shared in the previous blog posts titled “How I made lectures work in my favour”, “What pre-reading and post-reading meant to me”, “Note-taking and note-making – effective?”, “Time-management”, and “Consultation”.

All of these strategies worked together in contributing to my preparation of tests and exams. They made it a little easier for me to understand the work lectured and tutored, but most importantly they made it a little easier for me to prepare for tests and exams, because I understood certain sections of work before tests and exams, and that minimized the stress and the work that needed to be studied.

· Preparation just before tests and exams

As I mention in the blog post titled “Note-taking and note-making – effective?”, I flagged my notes, which made it easier for me to go back to them when I needed to refresh my memory on certain sections and chapters. In the blog post titled “How much studying is enough?”, I mention how I was able to discover whether I had studied enough - enough to pass or enough to reach my target – by investigating the reasons for marks lost in the tests I had written in the past. That is something that can be used to prepare better for the next tests and exams, because the reasons for lost marks may trigger strategies to use or changes that can be made in our studying and preparation for tests and exams.

It seems very important to consider what strategies to implement and how best to utilize the lectures, tutorials, consultation hours and even the tests that we write throughout the year for preparation of further tests and exams, especially final exams.

So, how do you prepare for tests and exams? What strategies do you use? Do you find them effective? Be sure to share your thoughts, views, experiences or even advice relevant to this topic.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Until next time.  :)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

34. Exploitation at work

When entering into the working world, especially as a student or learner who neither had been exposed to the work environment nor has a mentor to guide them, exploitation may be an inevitable thing to happen: you might accept it before you even recognise it. It’s your first time working. You have this notion that you must impress your boss, to not be problematic, because it’s your first job and you also need a positive reference for future jobs, right? But what happens in an event that you find yourself doing jobs that are not in line with your job-description or what you expected to do? What do you do? Let me give you an example: You are employed to work as a trainee accountant at a small accounting firm to become a Professional Accountant (SA). The training is for 3 years. During your first year, you’re tasked with the following, along with very few accounting jobs: Making filter coffee for the boss Answering the phone when the secretary is not around (twice a

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

28. Tme: one of the most precious resources

I was waiting on a train around past 6 am! Yep! We make time, even for selfies. See, if we can make time for selfies so early in the morning, surely we can make time for anything we put our mind into. There's this very common saying that "time is money".Ok, it's emphasis on how important time is - I get it. I really wonder, though, if we realise how precious the time we are given is. Consider this for a minute: regardless of how you spend your time, you will never be able to get those minutes/ hours back. You can't take that time you didn't spend doing something productive, and add it on the days that you need it the most. The most fascinating thing I discovered about myself quite recently is how much I always want to keep busy, and how when there are things I need to do, I do them as soon as possible. I'm so fast,  every time there is something to do, I jump to it as if I'm the only person that can do it, as if I cannot do it another ti