Skip to main content

11. Motivation

www.motivateplay.com
"I read the articles on your blog but my issue is motivation".

Sanele Shazi, one of the first year Bcom Accounting students at the University of the Western Cape (UWC ), came up to me earlier this year and said something along those lines. With an appalling attempt in responding to him, I shared what Mr Graeme CA(SA) said when he came to UWC. He said that to keep us motivated to attend to our studies, we can have a picture of what we aspire to achieve/ dream of having. For instance, a dream car.

Fortunately I had recently gone to a "Lead a leader" program that was held by UWC's Leadership and Social Responsibility department. The facilitators Lubabalo Ntlokwana and Jaclisse Lorene Mayoma shared incredibly useful information on motivation; to the extent that I even discovered what motivates me to continue finding useful ways to get through my course, even when I had failed the previous year and not doing that well in the current year. In this article, I share what they communicated.

Motivation is defined as the reason(s) for acting in a particular way. It's an internal process that makes one move towards a goal. Interestingly, motivation can either come from within us, termed 'intrinsic motivation' - for example passion/an interest; or from outside, termed 'extrinsic motivation' - for example poverty.

Such examples of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, like passion and poverty, supposedly should drive/ push us to behave in a way that will enable us to reach our goal. On a personal note, the intrinsic motivation - my fear of failing again - is what pushes me to find useful ways to study throughout the year to reach the goal of not failing again and eventually obtain my degree.

www.motionfitness.co.za
Of course, staying motivated is not easy. There are times when one can feel de-motivated. De-motivation is the result of obstacles that get in the way of us achieving our goals. There are a number of obstacles that demotivate one in their journey to achieving that goal. It may be that one person, that one text, a disability, the 'haters', the cold weather, the supervisor at work.


A typical solution to de-motivation is to not let the obstacles get to us; to always remember where we are headed; and to surround ourselves with those in the same mission as us. Self-motivation is key.

What keeps you motivated to reach your goals? Be sure to share your thoughts on this topic with us on the comments section below.

You can also follow the blog on twitter : https://twitter.com/student_blog and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Until next time :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining